Sometimes a gem just falls into your lap. While cleaning out my parents house to move we came across this picture book in amongst some family memorabilia. My grandfather was born in the early 1920s, so we think it must have belonged to one of his older brothers or sisters.
This book is part of the Father Tuck's "Patriotic Series" and appears to have been published in 1917. It provides descriptions of various roles within the British Army with beautiful illustrations accompanying it.
- Outline the evidence there is to indicate a rough date of publication.
- Identify the demographic group ( this might be age, gender, ethnicity, etc) this book is targeted at.
- What do you think of the illustrations? Describe the purpose of the illustrations.
- This picture book could have a number of different purposes. Discuss the purposes of the picture book and provide examples/phrases in the book that provide evidence of these purposes.
- Identify any words, phrases or concepts that are out-dated or no longer in use.
Deputy Principal at a Sydney high school. Coordinating author of the new Geoactive book series.